Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Tabbouleh Rasa

Fragrant wreaths to greet and please
sweet Persephone who waits to guide
at the gates between Life and Death
Sprung from the blood of infant Opheletes, 
known as Archemorous, forerunner of Death,
Poor child slain by the Dragon of Nemea
I am the Victor's crown at every funeral game.
Herculean garland
Herald of Thanatos
From humble Sardinian origin,
Tended by the hands of your Ancestors
for the last 2000 years
I have achieved world wide fame.
Confuse me with a fool at your own peril
You may find me vigorously growing
between a rock and a sparse place
or dreaming in a garden bed.
Wherever people gather to share a meal,
I am likely there encouraging good health,
stimulating appetites
freshening breath
gracefully guarding plates
I encourage blood to clot
widen vessels
keep bones strong
soothe inflamed joints

Diplomatic garnish
In my second year,
a bit more tough and bitter,
I'll open my umbrella
perhaps calling black swallowtails to attend
Let them have at me!
Sow my wishes in the Spring.
Nine times they must journey to Hades and back
that only the strongest, the most hale
will wipe clean their slate and thrive

For those new to the game, each poem is inspired by a Teacher found in Nature; a star, stone, plant, animal etc that holds lessons of Wisdom for us. Can you guess who is singing today? 



No comments:

Post a Comment