Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Raven Steals the Sun


Once, the world was covered in darkness. Raven quickly tired of stumbling around, unable to learn or get into anything in the heavy shadows. He found where the light of the universe was being jealously hoarded, cleverly stole the sun and set it into the sky so all could see, much like Prometheus. Raven was burned black by the heat of the sun, but he carries the many colors of the rainbow hidden within the shine of his feathers too.
This story has always ignited my imagination. It reminds me always of the interconnectedness of all life, especially when I am feeling particularly displeased with my own species. Raven reminds me that we are all family, even if I don’t like, understand or agree with another. Certainly not the only lesson I have learned from this audacious Teacher, but perhaps the most important.


Songs Heard Within My Shadow

Celestial Fire adds a hissing cymbal fill in the distance.
Steam rises with a hot suggestion of sound.
Upwards it rises now…
Beyond…
Beyond wind or noise…
Beyond Skywoman and Her Children…
Beyond Dreams…
We spin into the Void.
The Sun calls forth a rainbow
‘gainst an ebon shadow
as the Sun is set
…like a burning bit of amber
into an azure coronet.
“Stormbringer, Bonepicker, Trickster some call me.”
A laugh both harsh and rhythmic
Childlike, they fill my shadow with their fears.
“This way, Child!
Here is the path you left behind!
Mind your ways!
Don’t just speak the truth, Fool!
Live it!”
I chuckle,
“Leave denial in the dust…
Leave pain…
Leave past…
Leave rage…
Leave lust.
Empty as the waiting vessel be!
Fill your life with Light and
Deep within your essence see
all that Creator would ask of thee.”
I sing in Dreams.
I sing of Prophecies…
of paths lost and found…
Sacred trails begun in the heart
but by Wisdom and Choice unbound.
Change and Magic…
…Creation…
Denial…
…Shadow and Light…
Secrets and Soulful trial.
These fuel my flight!
“You are not alone in the long run.” I mutter
“Your heart knows we are already One!”
As you Dance your earthly fill,
I Soar…
and to the Winds I recklessly shrill,
“Law!
Death!
Time, all unheeding flow…
Forever before and
Forever behind.
Eternally awaiting Your perception…”
for I am Warden at this Door,
and many other thresholds,
between Truth and Deception.
“I hear and remember your unspoken Vow.”
Who sings now?





The painting is acrylics on 8.5 by 11 canvas. Prints and other products with this image are available at  Redbubble

A closer look at Raven/Crow as a Nature Teacher can be found here... 






No comments:

Post a Comment